Teach English in Kashiwa, Japan
The next opening for one position is August 1, 2020.
to see a current teacher's first year in Japan
The Torrance Sister City Association seeks qualified applicants for one high school English teacher at Kashiwa Municipal High School in Kashiwa, Japan, the Sister City of Torrance. The minimum one-year contract runs from August 1, 2018 to July 31, 2019 and is renewable for a maximum three-year assignment. This is a full-time position as a regular instructor at this site.
Duties: Create and deliver engaging lessons in English conversation and composition, present mini seminars to junior high students, make presentations to visiting dignitaries, assist with coordinating campus visits by parents, administrators and junior high students, provide support to Japanese teachers of English and extra-curricular activities as specified by the Principal including: judging and assisting with speech contests, serving as advisor to the English Conversation Club, teaching weekend conversation classes for adults, business trips and coaching students for college interviews. Volunteer work with KIRA (Kashiwa International Relations Association) and other city groups may also be required.
1. Live or work in Torrance
2. Be fluent in written and spoken English
3. Hold a Bachelor’s degree plus a teaching credential or have demonstrated teaching experience (verified in recommendation letter)
4. Possess a keen interest in the Japanese language and culture
5. Represent the Torrance Sister City Association and foster the goals and objectives of the English Teacher Exchange Program
1. Annual salary of approximately 4,800,000 Japanese yen
2. One-way airfare from Los Angeles to Tokyo, Japan
3. National health insurance (deducted from monthly salary)
4. Subsidized housing and transportation allowance
5. Paid Japanese holidays and personal days
The term of the position is August 1, 2018 to July 31, 2019.
Send detailed resume, cover letter, and two signed letters of recommendation by U.S. mail only postmarked by April 12, 2018 and received by April 19, 2018 to:
Lori Chong Eurich, Chair
TSCA English Teacher Selection Committee
Attn: Community Services Dept.
c/o 3031 Torrance Blvd.
Torrance, CA 90503
Please discuss your connection to Torrance in cover letter. Qualified applicants will be scheduled for panel interviews held in May. For further information call: Lori Eurich at (310) 373-6146.